Do you want to study in Canada? You will probably need a student visa for this. Even if you don't want to study you might want to consider getting this visa because your partner will be granted a temporary work permit during your stay. That might just be the extra bit of help you need to get into Canada under another category like the Skilled Worker.
If you want to study in Canada you will probably need a Study Permit. The exceptions are for:
- short courses of six months or less
- minors (under 19 in BC) where your parents are in Canada and are not visitors.
- children of foreign representatives in Canada
It is worth getting a Study Permit, even if you do not need one, because with a Study Permit, you can:
- work part-time on campus at the college or university at which you are registered as a full-time student;
- apply to renew your Study Permit from within Canada, if you decide to continue studying in Canada. (Otherwise you would need to leave after your short course and apply from outside Canada).
You may need a temporary residence visa as well, depending on the country - see the list of countries. This is issued automatically with your study permit if your citizenship means it is necessary.